Found no play function so I made EepPlay

!!! Please ensure, that your contribution or question is placed into the relevant section !!!
Questions about rolling stock, for example, do not belong in "Questions about the Forum". Following is perhaps the right area where your question will be better looked after:
General questions to EEP , Splines, rolling stock, Structures in EEP, landscape elements, Signalling system and controlling, designers, Europe-wide EEP meetings , Gossip
Your cooperation to keep the forum clear is appreciated.
In the case of pictures that are attached to the article, the source must also be stated. This also applies to your own pictures, which were taken by you. Pictures without source information will be deleted!
  • My father started with model trains from Fleischmann in 1960.

In the late seventies and eighties we had a table with a model train in scale HO.

Tracks were from Fleischmann and rolling stock from Fleischmann and Roco,

Playing with the train was all manual, no automatic systems.

Press a button to set a switch and a transformer for the speed.

Stopping a train and set the signal was done by the switch.

I have one picture of the table and with that I recreated the layout in EEP.

Now I needed the playing option with my hardware setup of a desktop with one monitor and a laptop.

So I made a program to play with Eep called EepPlay (temporary name).

Eep is running on my desktop in full screen (F4) and my EepPlay is running on my laptop.

EepPlay can at the moment do the following:

• select a camera
    • select a train
    • set the speed of the selected train
    • see the actual speed of all running trains
    • uncouple the waggons
    • make more gbs layouts for one layout and switch between them
    • rotate the turntable
    • operate any item with can be controlled by axis (keyboard or gamepad)

See attached screenshots to see how the program looks.

In my layout I have two gbs layouts and one crane Crane DB EDK 300/5 to operate.

This way I have the play option back that I had back in the days.

Only thing that is missing are the physical buttons to set the switches, turn the turntable and operate the crane.

• Hi Feike,

sounds interessting. What interface to EEP do you use? Is this Lua?

Viele

• It all exists of two parts.

In Eep I have a few functions combined in a file called faoLibray.lua, approx. 350 lines of code.

This library I started in this link: Autload Lua

The program EepPlay itself was written with C#

The communication between Eep and EepPlay is done using temporary files.

EEP 16.3 plugins 1,2,3,4 patch 2

Windows 10 Education

AMD Ryzen 7 3700XT, 32 GB RAM

AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT 6GB

• And the temporary files are read cyclicaly from Lua, or if positiv checked for changes? And vice versa from your App?

Or with other words how much delay do you have?

• There are two different temporary files to avoid conflicts.

One for the message from my program to EEP and one for the messages from EEP to my program.

The EEPmain function is run every 200ms, so every 200 ms EEP will look for the content of the temporary file to read the messages from my program and write a temporary file with the messages to my program.

My program will also check for the content of the temporary file every 200ms.

Windows 10 Education

• Ich verfolgte diesen Thread mit Interesse und stellte einen einfachen Dialog zum Ändern eines Signals in EEP zusammen, indem ich eine kleine Anweisung von VBA über eine Textdatei an Lua sendete. Eine Frage an alle in diesem Thread - da ich einen einzelnen Bildschirm verwende, muss ich EEP den Fokus zurückgeben, damit Lua die Datei abrufen kann. Gibt es eine Möglichkeit, den Fokus für eine nahtlose Funktion automatisch zu ändern?

[Google Translate]

• I'm also hugely interested in this work Feike  

And out of pure curiousity since you write in English - where are you from.?

Dennis (from Denmark)

Win 10 Home 64bit - i9 10.9KCPU 10-Core 5.2GHz - 64Gb Ram - NVIDIA GeForce 1650 4Gb

EEP 13.2 Expert (ENG Steam edition) - EEP 15.1 Expert (ENG Trend edition)

EEP Bodentextur-Tool, EEP TSPCalc, EEP Texture Multiplier, EEP Model Multiplier,

EEP Model Files Converter, EEP HomeNOS15, Blender v2.78b, Adobe Photoshop

• Hello Headsup

When in EEP trains are running with one screen and you switch to another program focus is lost to EEP, trains will stop running,and LUA won' t read the file.

A solution to this is to choose full screen mode (F4) and then switch to another program. Test it and see that your trains will still be driving around. In this case EEP is running in the background and LUA ill read the text file.

Windows 10 Education

• Hello Dennis

Originally I am form The Netherlands but I live for over 25 years in Belgium.

I can read some German but writing is not my thing.

My English is not that good but better then writing German.

Windows 10 Education

• Feike , thanks for that tip and I will try it. I have, however, found the way to pass the focus from VBA (a bit rusty); the only downside is that to keep both programs on screen they both have to be at a reduced size ie not one on top of the other.

Moderators: if it is preferred to conduct this thread in German I personally have no problem as long as everyone concerned can tolerate Google Translate.

• Normalerweise sind die Moderatoren nicht so stricht über das. But for making it easier for foreign users to find their linguistic brothers and sisters, pure english-worded postings are preferred in the English Speaking Corner.

Ich denke doch, das dieser posting über dieser brilliante Software, is so important, it can have a mix of languages.

;-)
    Denn

Win 10 Home 64bit - i9 10.9KCPU 10-Core 5.2GHz - 64Gb Ram - NVIDIA GeForce 1650 4Gb

EEP 13.2 Expert (ENG Steam edition) - EEP 15.1 Expert (ENG Trend edition)

EEP Bodentextur-Tool, EEP TSPCalc, EEP Texture Multiplier, EEP Model Multiplier,

EEP Model Files Converter, EEP HomeNOS15, Blender v2.78b, Adobe Photoshop

• I live for over 25 years in Belgium

Aha !

Desktop : Windows 10 Pro 64Bit - i7-4790 4.0Ghz - 32Gb RAM - Asus Geforce GTX-06G 1060 (6Gb) - Dual screen Asus VS247 24"
    Laptop : Windows 10 Home 64Bit - i7-4750HQ 3.2Ghz - 16Gb RAM - NVidia GTX960M

Ich bin dabei seit EEP 6 und benutze jetzt EEP 16

Free EEP-tools : Model Multiplier / Texture Multiplier / EEP window restore Tool / EEP Inventory Exporter

37310-banner2018-jpg

• It was time to see if my Eepplay would work on another layout than the one I'm working on.

So I made a copy of the layout Mitteldeutschland and opened Mittel_D_Auto.anl3

Next the changes to the lua of this layout, took max 2 minutes.

Last step was starting EepPlay.

The result is in the screenshot.
    Next I could select a camera, select a train and drive it, change switches and signals.

It's nice to see that when you try to make EepPlay work on "all" layouts that it does work in this test. "all" layouts will need some more testing.

Next step could be making GBS views which will take more time and for this layout it will be a lot of GBS views.